May 6, 2011

Tapioca - The Yolk's On You!

As I've mentioned before, I'm a great afficionado of judging foods by "mouth-feel".  Tapioca is one food that scores very high on the mouth-feel scale; smooth yet lumpy, with a mild taste that doesn't overwhelm.  I have to admit, though, that I have never considered whipping up a batch of tapioca so I could put it in my omelet. Obviously a failure of imagination on my part, because here it is on page 13 of 300 Ways to Serve EGGS - Tapioca Omelet. Just makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

TAPIOCA OMELET

3/4 cup milk
2 TBS. quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 TBS. butter
4 eggs, separated

Scald milk. Add tapioca, salt and pepper. Cook 20 minutes in a double boiler, stirring occasionally. Add butter and beaten eggs yolks. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into hot buttered skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes Serves 4.

300 Ways to Serve EGGS, Frances Troy Northcross in collaboration with the Culinary Arts Institute, Consolidated Book Publishers, 1940.

No comments:

Post a Comment